Tuesday, October 2, 2012

As The Buzzer Sounds





        I heard the buzzer that signaled for me to come out of the playing court, I was just happy I was able to contribute, that’s it. I approached the sidelines and saw my teammates so happy cheering. I lost focus, looked at the crowd and for the first time that day, I heard the crowd cheer. They applauded maybe the loudest applause for me in my whole college career.  I tried not to smile cause the game isn’t over yet but I just can’t help it. The coaches gave me a smile and a pat at the back or whatever it is, all I can feel that time was they were saying thank you. From that time every thing sunk in that it is finally over my college basketball career is over. Tears of joy started to fall; I just can’t stop. I was really happy that we are about to win that game but at the back of my head; I was sad that I wont be there again next year. After a few minutes after eman and kirk walked out the court also. From the half court line we walked back to the bench coach and coach Norman was the first one we saw. the others following form then on it was a blast. We celebrated and cried at the same time. We cheered and shouted our lungs out! As we sang the alma mater and waved goodbye in that crowd of blue and white, one of the best feelings ever.

We head to the locker room! Got all the gatorades and beers for some celebratory rites! The usual for years now! We took a bathe with ice cold water from the cooler, Gatorades and beers. Refilled our bottles, coolers and all the paraphernalia that we could use to do the same when coach norman comes in! we planked, we danced the dougie and we chanted the “AYAYAY AYAYAY AYAYAY” . We did everything we could think of until it was time to dress up and go to Gesu.

I was nervous to go inside Gesu. ive been doing it for years but I still feel nervous or even more nervous this time around. As I entered the Gesu people started to clap. I felt like a special someone a hero or something, I was dazed a little and didn’t know where to go. The feeling was just overwhelming. My smile can picture it all as my dimples weren’t shy to come out this time! Everyone came in.one by one.  And the mass started. I wasn’t able to focus during the mass not because it was hot and that im hungry but because I was thinking of the speech I was going to say after the mass. Every now and then I was glancing at my paper looking at the list of people who I will thank. I don’t want to miss anyone. Yes I prepared for this speech and but I know what I did wasn’t enough.Then it was time for the seniors to talk! It was my turn… walked to the podium… I got there… Adjusted the microphone… brought opened the paper where my speech is written… and looked at the crowd. I was stunned as! That moment depicted “we stand on a hill” from the alma mater song. All ears was yours that moment an took advantage of that. Felt like a king that time as I gave my speech. Like a boss I didn’t care for how long I will speak but for sure everyone didn’t care. My speech went on told my views and opinions and yeas it was sentimental … it was “emo”, felt like that for months since it was my final year. My speech was about to end and I looked at the crowd once more, and saw my tita’s crying.. tita mita, tita Debbie and tita Michele. Didn’t see my mom cause she sat at the back but Im sure she cried so much also. I just can imagine! Haha love you ma! Finally it ended and said thank you again to everyone. The celebration ended with another alma mater song. Believe me it was like the number 1 song on the radio that you really feel the song every time it was played.

 This was a glimpse of that day. A day to remember! A day we immortalized by writing history. And who knows what’s next for me?  Maybe another 1 or 2 more or we don’t know til it comes. We live in the moment, carrying the past to learn and not to regret so that the future will eventually shape to what we want it to be.

*wrote most of this a long time ago. I didn't proof read this also, so sorry for the typos and grammatical errors. enjoy!  :) 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete