Wednesday, October 5, 2011

my Gesu speech (behind that smile)




disclaimer- this is the unedited draft of my speech (part 2) at the Gesu, apologies for any grammatical errors. 

Before the season started I was able to talk to sir ricky palou after a game against a Japanese team that was visiting; and it was held In the hall of fame room in moro. he asked me ilang tao na ako sa ateneo. And I realized that im here for 17 years already so I asked sir ricky since we were in the hall of fame room already how to be a hall of fame. So sir ricky explained 20 years after pa pwede ma nominate and may point system raw number of championships one blah blah. So it came to my mind and asked him this. Sir ricky sino na ba pinaka maraming championship sa history ng ateneo since gradeschool? last Monday I asked the same question to jai. Maybe jai could answer that question.
For the first time in my life I wanna say I wanna go back to gradeschool and study all over again. Because here life is so much easier. Hell week isn’t really hell compared to the challenges of the life after ateneo. Here I can say that most of the students are spoiled and spoon-fed. That’s what im afraid of right now and that’s why now I want to say I just wanna study again because I don’t know what lies ahead. And I don’t want this feeling to end!

For the past years basketball has been a roller coaster ride for me. but First I wanna thank all my coaches here in ateneo from my first ever gradeschool coach tito len and coach jay to coach jamike in highschool and coach norman. To coach jamike thank you very much because kung wala si coach jamike baka di na ako umabot ng seniors! I learned a lot from coach jamike as a player but more than that as a person. He taught me how to lead a team how to fight for a team and how to be a good captain ball but what I learned so much about coach jamike is kung pano makisalamuha sa tao. But what I miss most is when coach jamike screams at my face! When coach jamike says: ”UWEEE!!! UWEEEE!!” and his favorite line ! “sinimulan mo! Sinimulan mo!” and when coach jamike kills you with his stare! playing in highschool was so fun that you really didn’t have to think a lot just basketball school and food! Haha!

College was a different story… it started in vegas my roommates were ford and then chris and I learned a lot from them. they were the captain balls of that season. my very first season I got injured right before the very first ateneo lasalle! Missed almost the whole season. And we lsot to lasalle in the semis. It was painful and we definitely learned a lot from that season! The transition In terms of the system wasn’t really hard form hs to college. The hardest thing in college is the pressure you get from all the people. I know for some I am a disappointment a lot didn’t appreciate how I played because I can’t score 20 points, because I can’t do what I did in highschool. It’s hard when you here those bad things about your self. Some of it personal some of it just plain BS. That’s why I deleted my formspring account and deactivated my facebook during the season. Yes I am very emotional and it affected me the very first time I heard stuff like those. I wont name names anymore but there was a time a very known personality In school told me after I played a very decent game “ohhh bacon.. you’re not useless today!” I’ve been studying here for 17 years and I know to read between the lines and I also know what he means by that. He just told me in front of my face that I was useless in a nicer way. Sometimes I wonder am I the villain of the team? Kailan ako naging kontrabida? But every superhero needs a villain or else he wont be a super hero.
Going to this final season I accepted the role to be a leader on and off the court. To accept the role that not everyone would accept. Sometimes I would tell myself why don’t I take 10 shots a game like some of my teammates? This should be my year my breakout year! And yes maybe I didn’t really “breakout” this year? But I can tell everyone right here with all the honesty of my heart that I did what I was supposed to do. I did what coach asked me too. And he didn’t asked me to score 20 points a game he didn’t ask me to take 10 shots a game. He asked me to lead this team to play defense and to be the glue and the extension of the coaching staff to my teammates. And yes maybe I have a lot of haters out there I know it people still tweet me, yes maybe there are more haters than people who believes in me. Because not everyone who sings the alma mater and shout one big fight will help you win that championship. They want to win and they have a good intention but the execution of  how they support isn’t just right but I still thank them for supporting the team.  But I know, that I won the hearts, the trust and the love of the people who are important, the inner circle that the team built. Most of my teammates know this that every day I pass by the chapel, in the college chapel or the one in moro. In my prayer I always thank God for what I have for all the blessings he gave me. All the wins e gave, Then every before game I say “Lord guide me in the game sana maka atleast 10 points ako sa game okay na ako.” Yes I pray for that. But before I end every prayer ill contradict what I just said cause I always say “ lord kahit di na ako makshoot basta magchampion nalang”. I always pray this when I visit the chapel cause I know it hurts when you graduate and not winning the championship. Hindi lang ikaw masasaktan pero lahat ng kasama mo sa team at  buong ateneo.  But what hurts more is when you see those kids watching in the stands crying because you lost a game. I remembered what doc said when his son, ben, cried after losing the game against adamson. And that’s just a game not even a championship game. I think jai said it in his speech before that those kids are an inspiration. And they really are. They don’t deserve those tears that’s why for me personally I don’t wanna lose.

Lastly, let me explain why I changed my number since a lot were asking, first because nico was bugging me about this number for 3 years now. And i didn’t really want to give it because I am a superstitious person. Sabi  ko baka malasin pa tayo. But I finally said okay because walang number 13 this year and number 13 was my original number back in gradeschool, I want to end in how I started it. and 1 plus 3 = 4. And when I said that I was gonna get the number 13 tita Debbie was like are you sure?! and her voice kinda raised a little higher. Tita Debbie told me that it might spark up big issues. And on cue when the season started heard and saw a lot of stuff that said the fake 13. And yes im the fake 13 cause the real on is my dad. That’s why I chose the number 13 In the first place because I dedicated this season to him. And that’s the hardest thing also dedicating something to someone. and you dedicate it by playing against him, by trying to defeat him. My dad is the reason why I am in ateneo. If he didn’t enroll me here in prep I wouldn’t be here right now. And I remembered summer before my first year in college coach norman and boss pao told my dad and I in a meeting in sweet I that im not yet sure in the lineup. It’s still a tryouts but for sure they will give me a scholarship. So my dad talked to me and told me “ sa ateneo ka na. Pag di ka makuha team b ka muna. Tapos magpakundisyon. Pero importante makagraduate ka. May scholarship ka na” And I know that was dad’s dream to graduate cause that’s the one thing he wasn’t able to do, to get a college diploma, but I am so thankful for what he did for me and my family. And yes he did the right decision for making me go here.
People say that I might have been a better player a star player if I went elsewhere. But I know that I made the right decision cause I had a great coaching staff, management, teammates  great people around me, and a great school. A couple of sbp championships and some minor league championships in gradeschool. 2 uaap championships in highschool and a couple of minor leagues in higschool,  fr martins championships, pccl championships and a couple of invitational league championships, and finally 4 uaap championships in college and on top of that an ateneo education and diploma to back it up! Saan ka pa???

Thank you everyone and Goodnight!!! see you at the bonfire! 

24 comments:

  1. "And yes maybe I didn’t really “breakout” this year? But I can tell everyone right here with all the honesty of my heart that I did what I was supposed to do. I did what coach asked me too. And he didn’t asked me to score 20 points a game he didn’t ask me to take 10 shots a game.."

    -may kanya kanya tayong papel na gagampanan sa buhay, ano man ang papel na iyon, kapag ginampanan na buo ang sarili at ang puso, lagi kang panalo...-

    hindi naman natin kailangan ng maraming tagahanga, basta mahal tayo ng mga taong mahalaga sa atin, sapat na iyon (minsan nga, more than enough pa)..

    you did great (more than you think).. you should be proud of yourself.. and yes, life after college will be waaayyy different, its gona be another battle, but hey, you've got good formation and you've got people to give you a push.. no worries then...

    enjoy the bonfire.. celebrate life.. learn.. touch lives.. love.. and love some more.. :)

    thank you for one great basketball experience.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh my your the coolest basketball player ive ever seen :) your so great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. idol! first i wanna congratulate you for a job well done. i really don't know what to say.. hhhmmm, yes maybe you're not that type of player who would score 20 points for your team, so what? you have your own role and i believe that you did your part in the best way you can.. never mind the person who said that you're useless, eh bakit siya ba what can he do for your team? db? db? hahaha :) i'm not from ateneo, im just a die hard ateneo fan, and i will never forget that you were the first eagle to reply to my tweets and reply to chats once in a while in facebook. much appreciated!, because that way, i know you're trying to reach out to your fans (although you don't tweet me back now! hmph! hahaha) ! i was one of the many who probably got sad when i learned that you will deactivate your fb.. i don't know why.. but bacs, here's the thing, not everyone had the opportunity to study in ateneo, and in your case, 17 years? oh my! not only that, you even played for the most elite collegiate basketball team, what more can you ask for right? add some championship titles with that! san ka pa?? tapos a lot of followers in twitter and fans! life is good! you're lucky! never mind your haters, that's the prize of being famous! and besides we can't please everybody naman db.. rest assured that no matter what, you have one sure fan here, that's ME!!! :) and in case i see you again, i will surely ask for a photo op and i hope its fine with you!hahaha :)) congrats idol! you did a great job! i believe in you! God Bless! its me, your follower in twitter, and friend in facebook, renee magtoto.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. always have been and always will be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE YOU BACON!!!!!!!!!!! WILL SURELY MISS WATCHING YOU IN THE UAAP SEASONS TO COME :( :( :( YOU WERE AN AWESOME CAPTAIN, I HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON IN THE PBA AND GOD BLESS! :) - A BLUE EAGLE FAN

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not useless! I believe in you! I'm a fan and I'll miss seeing you play! :(

    This post made me cry, especially those words you had to endure. But never mind them. It's you who won a championship, not them! Some people can be really stupid, they think basketball is all about scoring! But personally, I admire you for embracing your role and sacrificing for the team. Worth it naman diba? ;) 4peat champs! What more can you ask for right?

    Thank you for the memories. Thank you for the championships. Best of luck on whatever you'll do after college. One big fight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. teary eyed T.T gonna miss you Kuya Bacs! believe me, kayong tatlo nila Kuya Emman & Kirk ang first love ko sa team. seryoso'! didn't know na sbay2 pala kayo ggrad. tss:| PBA soon ok? Congratulations! YOU ARE A GREAT PLAYER more than you'll ever know =) you're not useless ok. uggh' those people! GodBless you!! -forever your supporter! -JJE

    ReplyDelete
  8. galing mo bacs! keep playing and keep writing and sharing stories! hindi man sa iyo ang best score sa stat sheet, I will remember you as one of the best persons in and out of the court! congratulations and live out the Ateneo way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Proud of you, Bacon. Thanks for enduring, persevering, and achieving. And thanks for transferring to my class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bacon! Marami ka ngang haters. Pero meron ka bang...lover? Pwede bang ako na lang yun? haha.

    See you at the Bonfire! ;)

    Love,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh...Bacon!!! reading this one really made me very emotional. I've been an Ateneo fan since Season 63 (Rich Alvarez' time) at that time never kong inisip na mag-4peat ang Blue Eagles...1 championship yon lng super happy na ako. then that championship came sa season 65...the eagle had landed. akala ko it will took several years again to have another championship..HINDI pala. now 4 in a row and looking good for its fifth.

    Bacon, in the recent line-up of the eagles i admire you the most...you dont have to score in double figures just to accomplished your mission. Every game...i also prayed na sana mag-score ka. Pero in the end sabi wag na lng...magchampion lang kayo ulit. I believe na mas masaya yon. Since season 73 2nd round, final 4 and finals to PCCL then to FilOil and this season halos 80% of your games pinanood kong live...i also got a chance to have a photo mo...ikaw lng kasi wala akong kasama everytime naonood ako ng games mo kaya di ako makapa-picture with you.Palabas kayo nun after ng game nyo sa San Juan when i called you and you stop nman and smile sa camera. with that super happy tlga ako. Sana sa next tournament mo makachance na ako and sana kasama kita sa picture...please.

    Bacs...super thank you sa mga moments mo sa Blue Eagles...with all those times may super fan dito (ako yon) na appreciated lahat ng effort mo sa team. Ignore those people that bashed you..."A couple of sbp championships and some minor league championships in gradeschool. 2 uaap championships in highschool and a couple of minor leagues in higschool, fr martins championships, pccl championships and a couple of invitational league championships, and finally 4 uaap championships in college and on top of that an ateneo education and diploma to back it up! Saan ka pa"

    congrats Bacs! you did a great job! i believe in you...more power!!! hope to see you in PBA. /gel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice one bacs! You did it! A bunch of championships and a diploma to boot. I can't believe how time passes by so fast. Proud of you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  13. People will hate you, rate you, break you and shake you. HOW STRONG YOU STAND IS WHAT MAKES YOU.
    -I believe in you Kuya Bacs! be strong. Congratulations!

    *BIG FAN OF ATENEO
    -P.M.S.C.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bacon -

    There are a lot of shallow fans out there, who thinking scoring is the only measure of contribution on the court. But you should know that there are also fans who understand that there are a thousand other things, apart from scoring, that need to be done in order to win.

    Your defensive presence, your willingness to do the dirty work and your leadership did not go unnoticed and unappreciated.

    No matter what, you are a four-time UAAP champion. And nobody can take that away from you.

    Congrats Bacon. You will be missed.

    "Eyes are dry at the last goodbye; this is the Ateneo way."

    One Big Fight!

    *Atenista All the Way

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats! :)


    pwede maka-hirit?

    please, post kirk's speech na rin.
    (yung kay emman, may video naman na e.)

    pretty please, much thanks. :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwww! Bacon!!! What a heartfelt speech, written like a true blue atenista --proud and thankful at the sam time humbled for being blessed to be educated in the best school in the country. You make us all proud to be atenista.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi BACS :)

    Your speech made me cry for real. Those were nice sincere words. I do believe that you you did your part very well! If not perfect, then close to it. :)

    I'm very happy for the kind of person you are now - emo and emotional pa rin (haha) but you're just too selfless and you just have so much love to give! Truly a man for others. Ateneo wanted you to be just that. Worth it ang 17 years! Your parents must be so proud of you.

    Love you bacs and I promise to visit Ateneo soon before you graduate.

    -your secret fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh gosh Bacon. Your speech made me teary eyed! You're not useless. You definitely did a great job! Kudos! You just don't know how many people are dying to be in your shoes right now! Congrats!!

    PS. Please post Kirk's speech also. If ot's okay. hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow bacs! That's really nice. Also, your dad is really great :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. congrats bacon! pag bigyan mo na yung ibang supporters. sometimes they can be misguided in their love for the school and for the team. im sure deep down they realize and appreciate all you have done for the team and are proud of of what you accomplished.

    good luck with whatever you choose to accomplish after college. always remember the atenean way...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bacon girl from Karla's tumblr.October 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM

    Hey Bacs!! I couldn`t make it to the bonfire but can i just say, this speech is amazing. it made me tear up. :'( I can`t believe Bacon, my favorite player ever, is leaving!!! :( I` M REALLY GONNA MISS YOU BACS. You`re right, it`s not about the points you score, it`s how you lead the team, because YOU ARE the captain. You may be the "scoreless captain" as others say, but you`re an effective one. And, really, HATERS GONNA HATE. You`re a good person they know nothing about the real Bacon. :) And as this whole chapter of your life closes, a new and adventure-filled one would open soon. You may not start great in the d-league but you`ll get you star soon. You have to believe, and pray. Your "chapel moments" made me tear up, really. to see how humble you are, kahit 0 na, basta champions yung buong team mo. Sweet. <3 good luck in life bacs. You are in control but remember, your family and fans, like me, are here to support you 101% God Bless You, Bacon Austria.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love you Bacon!♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. i cried when i was reading your speech! i'll definitely miss seeing you in Ateneo games. Even if you arent a star player or the player who shoots 20 points a game, you are the best player to me! I love you Bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete